Thursday, December 13, 2012

Keeping it Simple


Keeping it Simple

We all want to sound smart when writing a paper; you know what I mean, like using a lot of big words that sound like you know what you’re talking about. Especially if you didn’t actually read the book and your final grade for the class is hanging in the balance. (Don’t pretend not to know what I’m talking about, we’ve all been there). However, there is such a thing as over-doing it, like when you’re using so many “smart person” words that you don’t even know what your point was anymore.  Believe it or not, there is something even more important than sounding smart, reliability, because teachers live in the real world too.  Anyway, what I’m trying to say here is, when in doubt, always opt for simplicity. So even if it doesn’t seem as “intelligent”, it’s always better to know exactly what your paper is saying because if you don’t know what you’re talking about, chances are, no one else will either.

~Emmy Peña- First Period Writing Center~

P.S. I found this clip from “Friends” as proof! Don't be a baby kangaroo!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to watch this clip. I'm in class now, so I can't . . .

    ReplyDelete